APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY JUNE 18, 2021
VIDEO SUBMISSION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, JUNE 20, 2021
What is the NEPP Mentoring Program?
The Mentoring Program pairs NEPA music students with our professional musicians for a unique learning experience. Over the course of the orchestra season (October – May), the students receive 14 private lessons, 14 chamber music coachings, masterclasses and the opportunity to rehearse and perform in a side-by-side concert with the full orchestra (TBD).
N.B. Pianists are not involved in the side-by-side orchestra concert but will be invited to perform at other Philharmonic related events.
Additionally, the students will be involved in a chamber music group (i.e. duo, trio or quartet) with other students of their level. They will receive chamber music coachings from NEPP musicians in preparation for a chamber music recital. Students enrolled in the mentoring program also receive two complimentary tickets to all NEPA Philharmonic performances.
What is the benefit to the students?
The impact this program has on the high school students involved is profound. They are surrounded by peers and adults who share their passion for music and who “speak the same language.” The program is designed to foster a love of music, build the next generation of audiences and teach the students the discipline required to achieve musical excellence.
Students involved in the NEPP Mentoring Program develop an increased awareness of musical excellence, and they grow exponentially as musicians. The creativity, self-discipline and aesthetic standards that the students develop will have a strong impact on their future careers, whether they become musicians, homemakers, scientists, architects, artists, teachers or engineers.
Who is this program for?
The Mentoring Program is open to NEPA students in grades 8-12 for the following instruments:
- PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept saxophone or percussion students.
What is the program format?
The 2021-22 NEPP Mentoring Program will operate on a hybrid schedule, providing in-person and online lessons and chamber music coachings. In-person lessons and coachings might occur in local churches, schools or concert venues.
What is the tuition?
The tuition for the 2021-22 season is $1200 (payable in three $400 installments).
Scholarships are available solely based on financial needs. See “Apply for financial aid” in the online application.
The tuition includes:
- 14 private lessons with NEPP musicians
- 14 chamber music coachings with NEPP musicians
- Sectionals with Mélisse Brunet & NEPP musicians (except pianists)
- Masterclasses with guest soloists & members of the NEPP
- 2 free concert tickets to all NEPA Philharmonic performances for the season
- Side-by-side performances with the NEPA Philharmonic (except for pianists)
- Leadership opportunities (ex. students leading concerts in retirement homes)
- Student chamber music recital
What is expected of mentoring students?
- Practice Commitment: We expect students to practice daily in order to be prepared for both their private lessons and chamber coachings.
- Availability: In order to coordinate with our music professionals and chamber groups, it is essential that mentoring program students have flexibility and zoom in their schedules for this program.
- Travel: Because this program includes students throughout NEPA, travel to chamber coachings is required.
What is the acceptance process?
Acceptance into the Mentoring Program is decided by video audition. Applicants will prepare and submit video recordings of two pieces of contrasting style, one of which can be an étude.
A panel of NEPP musicians will judge video submissions and select only the most highly qualified candidates. All candidates will be provided with a written critique of their video submissions.
How do I apply for the Mentoring Program?
Click the “Apply for the Mentoring Program” button below to complete your application and submit your audition videos. The application fee is $25 and is payable by credit card.