APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022
VIDEO SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022
What is the NEPP Mentoring Program?
The Mentoring Program pairs NEPA music students with our professional musicians for a unique learning experience. Over the course of the orchestra season (September – June), the students receive private lessons, chamber music coachings, masterclasses and the opportunity to rehearse and perform in a side-by-side concert with the full orchestra.
Additionally, the students will be involved in a chamber music group (i.e. duo, trio or quartet) with other students of their level. They will receive chamber music coachings from NEPP musicians in preparation for a chamber music recital. Students enrolled in the mentoring program also receive two complimentary tickets to all NEPA Philharmonic performances.
What is the benefit to the student?
The impact this program has on the high school students involved is profound. They are surrounded by peers and adults who share their passion for music and who “speak the same language.” The program is designed to foster a love of music, build the next generation of audiences and teach the students the discipline required to achieve musical excellence.
Students involved in the NEPP Mentoring Program develop an increased awareness of musical excellence, and they grow exponentially as musicians. The creativity, self-discipline and aesthetic standards that the students develop will have a strong impact on their future careers, whether they become musicians, homemakers, scientists, architects, artists, teachers or engineers.
Who is this program for?
The Mentoring Program is open to NEPA students in grades 8-12 for the following instruments:
- PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept saxophone, percussion or piano students.
What is the program format?
The 2022-23 NEPP Mentoring Program will operate on a hybrid schedule, providing in-person and online lessons and chamber music coachings. In-person lessons and coachings might occur in local churches, schools or concert venues.
What is the tuition?
The tuition for the 2022-23 season is $1200 (payable in four $300 installments).
Partial scholarships are available solely based on financial needs. See “Apply for financial aid” in the online application.
The tuition includes:
- 14 private lessons with NEPP musicians
- chamber music coachings with NEPP musicians
- Sectionals with Mélisse Brunet & NEPP musicians (except pianists)
- Masterclasses with guest soloists & members of the NEPP
- 2 free concert tickets to all NEPA Philharmonic performances for the season
- Side-by-side performances with the NEPA Philharmonic (except for pianists)
- Leadership opportunities (ex. students leading concerts in retirement homes)
- Student chamber music recital
What is expected of mentoring students?
- Practice Commitment: We expect students to practice daily in order to be prepared for both their private lessons and chamber coachings.
- Availability: In order to coordinate with our music professionals and chamber groups, it is essential that mentoring program students have flexibility and room in their schedules for this program.
- Travel: Because this program includes students throughout NEPA, travel to chamber coachings is required.
What is the acceptance process?
Acceptance into the Mentoring Program is a 2-round process:
- ROUND 1 – Video Audition: Applicants will prepare and submit video recordings of two pieces of contrasting style, one of which can be an étude. Those who are accepted based on playing ability will then proceed to round 2.
- ROUND 2 – In-Person Interview: An in-person interview will be scheduled for round 2 applicants and their parent(s)/guardian(s).
How do I apply for the Mentoring Program?
Click the “Apply for the Mentoring Program” button below to complete your application and submit your audition videos. The application fee is $25 and is payable by credit card.